Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pink.

So, I have never been the biggest fan of pink, and these days I like it even less than usual. Though, I should say... there is something about pink and teal or pink and zebra that appeals to me lately. Pink in general isn't my cup of tea. I prefer greens and purples. Weewee totally takes after me. She is obsessed with the color green, particularly lime green. That's my girl. Back to pink and why it is on my nerves lately... This past week, Weewee had a fever. I monitored it and it was okay. She is teething. Not even a year old, and already has a mouth full of teeth, and has more on the way. This time around she is getting molars. I have been warned that they can be quite troublesome. Well, based on the fever and the fact my happy child has had some grumpies... Yes, troublesome indeed.

So, Chadski gets home from work last Thursday, and he is spending time with Weewee and I am doing stuff around the house. I come back to the living room and pick her up... HOLY MOLY! She was burning up. So I took her temperature. It was almost 104. Nope. No way. I gave her Tylenol and went to the ER. Can you say stressed? True to her nature, she took the ER visit happily in stride. Her fever was down to 101. The doctor discovered she had an ear infection. We were given and prescription for Amoxicillin and sent on our merry way.

I dropped off the prescription, brought Weewee home to Daddy, and went back to pick up her medicine. I gave her the first dose that night and kept watch over her fever. Starting Friday, she wasn't eating like normal or drinking like normal. She was just off. My poor, sick baby. On Saturday, we went to do laundry at a friend's house (Side note: Our washer and dryer hookups will be operational SOON!), and I scheduled Weewee an appointment at the clinic that has weekend hours.

At the appointment my Mommy gut was proven right. Something was wrong. She was allergic to the (pink) Amoxicillin. We were told to not give her anymore, and she was given Azithromycin to start the next day. As the day went on, and it was further and further from her last dose of the (pink) Amoxicillin, she got better. The rash she had was disappearing, she was drinking, she was eating, she was better.

So, Sunday morning arrives, and I gave her the first dose of (pink) Azithromycin. Instantly she was covered from head to toe with a rash and her face became swollen. I called the pharmacist, because Chadski and the lady had a whole conversation, when he had picked up the medicine earlier. The pharmacist told me to go to the ER right away.

Off we go, back to the ER. Poor, red, swollen Weewee, again took it in stride. She was the life of the ER party. She was given a steroid and a antihistamine. She did well considering the circumstances. We were sent home. We were told to discontinue the (pink) medicines, get her an appointment with her doctor immediately, buy some Benadryl, and avoid pink/red stuff (medicines/foods/drinks). Do you get a theme here? Do you get why pink is on my nerves?

I brought Chadski and Weewee home, and went off to buy some Benadryl. Now... I will be the first to admit I don't know much about kid's medicines. I never really had to buy them before. I want you to know, the Walmart pharmacy was closed for lunch, so I was on my own. Do you know how many medicine options there are? TONS. I noticed that day, most are pink/red. Lovely. Just lovely. I finally found a dye free Benadryl, but it said for ages 6 to 11.

Luckily, the pharmacy reopened, so I stood in line and awaited a turn to speak to the pharmacist. When I get up there, I told her... I need your help. There is a possible allergy to pink or red dye, so I need dye free Benadryl, but I can only find this one and it says for ages 6 to 11. So, she says to me that I have the wrong one. I told her I thought so, and asked where is the right one. She told me where I could find the adult Benadryl. I said, but it is for my 11 month old. She said... Oh. Your 11 month old? I thought it was for you. I said, oh no, I don't need any. She asked if I was sure. I said, yes, why? She said to me that I was covered in hives.

Yep. Shopping for Benadryl stressed me out to the point of being covered in hives all over my face and neck. Oy vey. She informed me I could give Weewee the one for 6 to 11 and told me the proper dose, and the recommended I pick myself up some. LOL.

I made it back home with my dye free, non pink Benadryl, and luckily we have not needed it. I found out today, at her doctor's appointment, that we cannot test her for allergies yet. She is still a bit young. For now, we just have to try to keep her healthy (so she doesn't need any medicines that she may potentially be allergic to) and avoid pink/red stuff.

I'm hoping it was a fluke or she will outgrow it. I really want her to be allergy free. Though, if she were allergic to bacon, I would not be upset one bit. I hate bacon. Yes, you read that right. The way I see it, if she is allergic to it, that would justify a household ban on the stuff. Right?!

So, that is the tale of pink. Be sure to check back THIS FRIDAY! My next post will be my addition to the SECRET SUBJECT SWAP!!!! I am sure you'll be on the edge of your seats until then!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I have heard of the "pink flu" but never of allergies to pink drugs. But who knows? I hope you guys are doing much better! Read on Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Skin

Welcome to June's Blog with Friends!! Each month a theme is chosen and then participating bloggers use the theme, to create their own un...